#masters #in #microfinance
European Microfinance Programme
Course(s) Offered: Microfinance
Course Level: Postgraduate (master)
Country to Study in: Belgium, France
Launched in 2005, the European Microfinance Programme (EMP) has been designed by microfinance experts to offer a unique blend of theory and practice. Since 2007, students graduating from the EMP obtain a full Master degree (European Master in microfinance).
The purpose of the programme is to develop future professionals in microfinance who will contribute to the strengthening of microfinance institutions worldwide, in accordance with the highest international standards.
Each year, 12 full scholarships are awarded to EMP candidates coming from selected developing countries.
Candidates applying for the EMP via the Université Libre de Bruxelles (Master Complémentaire Conjoint en Microfinance), should read the General information document (updated for 2016-2017).
All candidates must fulfill the following requirements:
- ACADEMIC DEGREE: Applicants must already hold a master Degree, equivalent to 300 ECTS (5 years), from a recognized academic institution in one of the following disciplines: development cooperation, economics, agronomy, management or finance. Exceptionally, other qualifications may be accepted. Good academic grades, relevant professional experience and field experience in developing countries are highly valued.
- ENGLISH LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY: Mastering English is required. As the EMP is taught in English, candidates must prove their spoken and written command of English.
Qualifications accepted as evidence of English proficiency are:
- Native speakers: (USA, UK, AUS, NZL, IRL, CAN (Engl)): no proof needed
- Applicants from anglophone countries: candidates having completed their studies in English must provide a confirmation by their University.
- All other candidates:
– TOEFL: paper-based 550, computer-based 213, internet-based 79-80
– IELTS: min. score of 6.5
– Cambridge First Certificate (FCE): pass at grade C or above
– Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE): pass at grade C or above
Please see official website for complete requirements
Citizens of selected developing countries
The EMP is taught by professors from three European universities in:
- Belgium – Université libre de Bruxelles (Solvay Brussels School of Economics and Management) and Université de Mons (Warocqué) both belonging to Académie Universitaire Wallonie-Bruxelles. and
- France, Université Paris Dauphine.
as well as by experts from international NGOs specialising in microfinance including ADA, BRS, CERISE, PlaNet Finance and SOS Faim. The NGOs complete the academic perspective with their wealth of expertise in training, information management and technical assistance to the microfinance sector. In addition to providing guest lecturers on a variety of topics, these NGOs are responsible for coordinating the internship component of the programme.
Fields of study
The EMP provides students with a professional, multi-disciplinary approach to the challenges the microfinance sector is facing today
Number of awards
Twelve (12) FULL scholarships are awarded every year
This is a FULL tuition award, and will cover the whole duration of the Master programme
These scholarships cover the tuition fees, some basic living expenses in Brussels and one return plane ticket.
Please be aware that the internship on the field is compulsory. as part of the programme, and that the EMP does not provide any financial support for the expenses related to that internship. However, students have the possibility to look for grants and financial support from foundations, associations, etc.
Method of Application
All candidates must submit an EMP Application form, either ONLINE or downloading and filling it for EMAIL submission. If a candidate has been pre-selected by the EMP Jury, the candidate will be asked to continue the application process with the submission of more documents. Also note that you need to apply to the CCD Scholarships.
It is important to visit the official website (link to it is below) to access the EMP Application form; and also for complete information on how to apply.
The application deadline date for both the EMP programme and the CCD Scholarship is Wed, 10th February 2016.
The European Microfinance Programme (EMP) offers the combined expertise of academics and experts working in the field. Academics from several leading European universities and practitioners from non-governmental organisations have collaborated to launch this joint programme.
Application Deadline: 10 February 2016
Open to International students: Yes